Dr Christine Bonsmann, Accredited Counsellor (BACP) and CBT Therapist (BABCP)
It’s all very well for people to tell you to ‘snap out of it’ or ‘pull yourself together, but that assumes you are able to. It’s so important to respect others and to try and help them to understand themselves and not to try and ‘fix’ them or give them advice. Real and lasting change comes when we understand ourselves and the choices that we make. Therapy can help you to do this. To become who you want to be.
Prior to training as a therapist, I worked as a Financial Controller in the City. I worked long hours trying to meet deadlines, managing a diverse department and dealing with the stresses of corporate life. I have always had an interest in counselling and psychotherapy and, following some major life changes, I decided to train to become a therapist. It was like coming home.
I have undertaken therapy as part of my therapy training and I remember how difficult I found this and how anxious I felt about making that first call. I was lucky. I found a therapist who understood and respected me. The experience changed my life. Completely. This experience has informed my practice and I try to create a safe place for you to talk about your concerns and worries.
I have undertaken further training and am a qualified Cognitive Behavioural Therapist. For more information please read my article different approaches to psychological therapy. I have undertaken specialist certified training in couples counselling. In addition, I have trained in other evidence-based therapies, for example psychodynamic interpersonal training.
I will work with you to create an individual therapy experience which fits for you. I will draw on my training and experience to find a way of working which fits with your preferences. I am qualified to supervise the work of other counsellors.
I have worked in various clinical settings in the NHS, including GP surgeries, and in various agencies in the voluntary sector, for example in addiction and eating disorder clinics as well as in university and mental health settings. In addition, I have helped to set up new counselling services within the NHS.
I am experienced in working with a range of presenting problems including relationship problems, work stress, anxiety presentations and depression, eating problems, social anxiety and bereavement. I work with adults over 18 years old and couples. I am experienced in coaching and mentoring other professionals to develop their potential.
- Doctorate in Counselling and Psychotherapy
- MSc in Counselling Psychology (Distinction)
- Master of Professional Practice (Health and Social Care) (Distinction)
- PG Diploma in Counselling Psychology
- PG Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (Distinction)
- Advanced Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Skills and Studies
- PG Certificate in Advanced Practice Interventions for Mental Health (CBT Interventions)
- Certificate in Counselling
- Certificate in Supervision
- Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing (EMDR) Part 1
- Post Diploma Certificate in Person Centred Couples Counselling
- Cognitive Processing Therapy for PTSD
- Psychodynamic Interpersonal Therapy Training
- Transactional Analysis 101 Training
- Life Coaching Diploma (Distinction)
I have successfully completed a Doctorate in Counselling and Psychotherapy in order to further inform my practice as a therapist. This has helped me to keep up to date with the latest research and thinking in counselling and psychotherapy.
My research interests are concerned with how clients experience therapy and I believe that listening to clients’ views is crucial for the development of the counselling profession. I have presented my research at a number of conferences, including the BACP Annual Research Conferences, London, 2010 and Chester, 2017 as well as The Research Institute for Health and Social Change Annual Conference, Manchester, 2011. I am interested in making a contribution to my profession through my writing and have had my research published in peer-reviewed journals. I also deliver research training workshops to doctoral students in a university setting.
I am an accredited member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and adhere to the BACP Ethical Framework for Good Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy and a founding member of the BACP Coaching Division. In addition, I am a Member of the Association for Counselling and Therapy Online (ACTO). Finally, I am also an accredited member of the British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP).
- Presentation of research, BACP Annual Research Conference, Chester, 2017
- Presentation of research, University of Chester, 2016
- Presentation of research, Research Institute for Health & Social Change, Manchester, 2011
- Presentation of research, BACP Annual Research Conference, London, 2010
- Presentation of Symposium, BACP Annual Research Conference, London, 2010
- Presentation of research, Postgraduate Conference, University of Salford, 2010
- Presentation of research, University of Keele, 2008, 2010
- Original Research published in Journal of Critical Psychology, Counselling and Psychotherapy, 2018
- Original Research published in Journal of Critical Psychology, Counselling and Psychotherapy, 2017
- Original research published in Counselling Psychology Review, December 2010
- Co-authored research paper published in Counselling & Psychotherapy Research, June 2010